Saturday, May 1, 2010

Greens and Beans


I found the most wonderful escarole at the farmers market today and couldn't wait to cook. Tonight, I made something my mother used to make when I was young (minus the ham she threw in there). It's a simple dish we loved when we were kids, and now I love it as an adult since it's low fat, low calorie and jam-packed with vitamins and goodness. Even protein from the beans. My mom was a great cook (and still is) and I love making something I learned so long ago while putting my own twist on it. Give it a shot and add whatever you want. I think I'll go with some sauteed onions next time, although it's awesome just the way it is.

For those of you following the blog, I've done something similar with red chard, and you could use spinach or any other greens if you want. Experiment and have fun...

Greens and Beans
1 bunch of escarole, washed and chopped
1 can white beans, rinsed
1 can tomatoes
1 tsp tomato paste
garlic powder
salt/pepper
fresh parsley

1. Throw the escarole in a large saute pan with a little water and let it wilt slightly.
2. Add all other ingredients and let simmer for about 15 minutes.
3. Serve with Parmesan cheese (optional)

It's that easy, and that good. It's fresh and filling and a wonderful comfort food.
Enjoy!

2 comments:

Valerie (m.) said...

Yum -- that looks fabulous!!!!!

comma girl said...

Thanks Valerie

Post a Comment