Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Beets, Beets and more Beets


Our local CSA basket has had some wonderful golden beets lately. Since my partner in veggies doesn't care for beets, I'm in heaven each week they are in the basket. Simple-olive oil, salt, pepper in a foil wrap and bake in a 400-degree oven for about an hour. Open and enjoy. I know there are so many other things you can do with beets, and I've done them, but nothing beats just roasting in the oven and eating warm. Yum! I can't wait for Wednesdays and I'm bummed when there are no beets. Rainbow chard is also a favorite in the basket, but I know, dear chef, that you've seen what I can do with that.

I highly recommend ordering a basket of locally grown veggies. Not only are you supporting a local business, but the time from dirt to your plate is minimal, not weeks. The vitamins are stronger, taste is better and chemicals are non-existent. Try it, you'll be helping the environment, your body, and a local business. And your cooking chops will be tested each week you open the box and say, "What the heck is that?" Cook it and find out.

I made a quiche tart with the spinach and beets in the basket, as well as the free-range organic eggs that week. So yummy, fresh and good for you. Just spray a tart pan, cook spinach and some onion until soft. Add eggs (I use 2 eggs and 4 egg whites) and pour into pan with veggies, then add some cheese if you want. (Fontina melts great). Then space a few beets on top and bake for about 35 minutes. Yummy!



Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment