Sunday, April 26, 2009

Easy Peasy Asparagus Soup


It's one of those days where I just don't feel like cooking, but I don't want to open a package. Unfortunately, being GF and vegetarian means I can't just make a turkey sandwich, which is what my husband just did.

However, I know how to make soup, and quick soup. I love soup...it's comforting, smooth and yummy. While visiting California Pizza Kitchen recently, I ordered the asparagus soup, creamless and vegetarian, yet smooth with a powerful asparagus flavor. It was grand. So I came up with a simple recipe and here it is, a compilation of things I've learned. I call it easy peasy asparagus soup since it's got peas and asparagus in it. Remember, one pot, simple ingredients, blend...

Easy Peasy Asparagus Soup
1 medium onion, chopped
1 Tbs olive oil
2 bunches of asparagus (about 45 stalks)
1 cup frozen peas
3.5 cups organic veggie broth
salt/pepper

The ingredients are that simple. No kidding.
1. Saute onion in olive oil in a large soup pot until soft and translucent.
2. While onion is cooking, snap ends off of asparagus and cut stalks into 1-inch pieces. Save a few of the tops for garnish.
3. Add asparagus, peas, salt and pepper to onions. Let cook for about 5 minutes to bring up the temperature.
4. Add veggie broth, cover and simmer for about 30 minutes.
5. Check to make sure asparagus is cooked to tender.
6. Blend soup in a blender till smooth. Remember to do this in batches, and start slowly each time blending since the soup is hot and can create steam in the blender.
7. Pour into bowls, garnish with asparagus tops.

You can use any kind of veggies for this, dear chef. Broccoli works great, cauliflower, peas, asparagus (on their own), carrots... the possibilities are endless. Mix and match or let them go solo. Give it a try and your veggies go down real smooth. It's comforting and yummy.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment