Monday, February 9, 2009

Little GF Brownie Bites


While at a party recently, I was eyeing the little brownie bites on the buffet and kicking myself since I can't eat those anymore (and glad I couldn't eat the calories). But a little light bulb went off above my head--why not make my own brownie bites? Using a recipe similar to the flourless chocolate cake Daughter makes, and tips I found online, we came up with a great little brownie bite tonight.

Daughter took over and made them while I whipped up some garlic, pepper, tomato and mushroom pasta. After eating way too much pasta because I love it so much, I then proceeded to eat way too many brownie bites (we all did)...they are chewy on the inside, crispy on the outside and so chocolaty. I'm so excited that we now have an easy, bite-sized dessert to share when guests come over (and it just so happens they are coming tomorrow).

I used a mini muffin pan that I bought a long time ago. If you can't find one, you can buy the aluminum mini tins at Safeway or just use a regular muffin pan, but I wouldn't fill them up. I would fill it just 1/2 way so they aren't too thick. Then adjust your cooking time accordingly.


Daughter took this photo to show how great they are inside...yum!

Fudgy Chocolate Brownie Bites

3 cups powdered sugar
½ cup unsweetened, alkalized cocoa powder (buy the best you can find, it's worth the money)
½ teaspoon fine sea salt
1 1/2 cups candied pecans (or any kind of nut you prefer, I had a bag of Trader Joe's candied pecans, so we used those.)
4 large egg whites
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (GF of course)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine powdered sugar, cocoa powder, and salt. Mix with a fork to combine.
3. Using a mixer (I use an old hand mixer, but you can use a stand mixer) add egg whites slowly as you mix on medium. Keep mixing for about 5 minutes or mixture is thickened.
4. Stir in nuts and chips. Mix thoroughly. Mixture should be very thick.
5. Pour into tiny muffin tins, which have been sprayed with nonstick spray. Fill each cup about 3/4 full. We made 36 bites from this recipe.
6. Bake for about 15 minutes. Tops will crack but be careful not to undercook or the bites will be mushy inside.
7. Let bites cool on a rack for a few minutes, then gently take out of the pan. Cool on a wire rack till completely cool, then store in an airtight container (and hide it from everyone or they will all be gone by morning!)

Note: I would use less nuts next time, since I'm not a big nut fan. But I love, love, love these and I'm not complaining. I ate way too many tonight and will eat more tomorrow. Then I'll have to make more with all kinds of tests such as raspberry, mint, orange, no nuts, more chips, white chocolate chips, etc. The possibilities are endless.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

Waste Management Woman said...

I tried these and they are great. They are just as good or better than any "regular" brownie. They aren't cakey, but chewie in the middle, as all good brownies should be. This recipe is a keeper for anyone.

comma girl said...

Thanks. We love them too.

Post a Comment