Sunday, February 8, 2009

Going Crackers!

I recently visited the downtown Phoenix farmers' market for the first time. I expected to see a lot of produce, locally grown of course, but I was so surprised at all the other wonderful things. And so many of them gluten free. It was wonderful.

Among my many finds (which I'll write about in future posts) were two kinds of GF crackers. And anyone GF knows that finding a good GF cracker is like finding the perfect pair of jeans. Many look great, but upon closer inspection they aren't so great after all. These two actually fit the bill and made me so happy that I went, even though it was very early for me on a Saturday morning. And anyone who knows me well knows that I am not a morning person.

Rosemary/Garlic Flax Crackers


The first cracker is made by "For Flax Sake." They had three different varieties--one with rosemary and garlic, one with cranberry and fruit flavors, and another with chili powder (although so little it's hard to taste it. It's the mildest of the three.) The company producing the crackers is Life Force Foods in Gilbert, Arizona. The ingredients were almost too simple: Organic brown flax, organic golden flax, organic sesame seeds, garlic, rosemary and spices. Assured they were gluten free, I tested all three.


I ended up buying the rosemary/garlic flavored crackers. They have a wonderful crunch and powerful rosemary flavor. I imagined them with a mild brie or swiss. Or even just snacking on them for the flax benefits. They are in big, flat slabs and you can break off pieces. Yummy, herb-infused flavor with a hint of garlic. I think I'll have some with a good veggie soup also.

Gluten-Free Goat Cheese Crackers


The next cracker was a complete surprise. I was actually testing the goat cheese at the "Fresh From Rowie's" booth (which was fabulous). The company is in Glendale, AZ and I love that the goats are hormone and antibiotic free, as well as treated humanely. I saw a small note on the bottom of the sign that stated Gluten Free Crackers. It turns out the owner's husband is gluten free and they designed the crackers out of goat cheese, rice flour and bean flour. They are crispy with a great cracker texture. The flavor has a hint of goat cheese, but not overpowering. These do have salt in them, so try a mild cheese with them. Once again, I can't wait to eat these with cheese or a great veggie soup. I think these would be wonderful with a pea or black-bean soup also. They are sturdy enough to hold things too, if that's your preference with crackers.


What a joy to find something so great when I wasn't even looking for them. Both are local companies to the Phoenix area (although not in Phoenix) and I'm excited that when I run out, I won't have to order online or pine away for the loss. They are just a Saturday away.

If you're in the Phoenix area, I urge you to give these a try and to visit the farmers' market. It's a great way to spend the morning and you'll be supporting local businesses, which is always a good thing.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment