Sunday, June 8, 2008

A Lazy Day and Lettuce Wraps, a Perfect Combination

Sunday. Isn't it just a day for lounging? Remember Sundays when you were a kid? For me, it meant no school, hanging out with friends and possibly visiting family. Nothing too strenuous on a Sunday. And take it easy since tomorrow's a big day. Monday always seems to be looming over Sunday.

Although I know I could be cleaning, or something, today I would much rather watch a sappy Lifetime movie about a woman whose child was switched at birth. My daughter found a good book and has been in her bed, curled under a blanket, reading all day. We're both still in our pajamas...what the heck. I made her come out and eat, then back to bed she went. Call me lazy, but I just want to veg out today.

And speaking of vegging out, Sundays just seem to be a day of snacking and eating whatever you feel like. It used to be grilled cheese sandwiches, soup, chili perhaps. Whatever sounded easy to make, or leftovers, which is even better since it usually only requires a microwave.

Today, during a commercial, I decided to whip up some veggie lettuce wraps. It took longer than the commercial, but not more than two. I certainly got to see if Lisa Hartman Black was able to get her baby back...But enough about the movie, the lettuce wraps were the best part of the afternoon.

The recipe below was just a small lunch, but you can double it for a dinner or more than two people for a snack/lunch. This way it leaves room for dinner. And use any veggies you have in the fridge. I was hoping I had a zucchini or yellow squash, but not this time. This dish is usually a great way to use up odds and ends of veggies, just stir fry and serve up in a lettuce wrap. I love the crunch of the lettuce as you bite into it, it's like eating a taco, only better...



Veggie Lettuce Wraps

4-5 lettuce leaves, torn off gently
1/2 red pepper, chopped
1/2 sweet onion, chopped
1/2 cup cabbage, chopped
1 tsp chopped garlic
1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
olive oil
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 TBS wheat-free tamari
salt
pepper

Heat olive oil in pan for a moment, then add peppers, cabbage, garlic and onions. Sautee for about 5 minutes, until veggies are softened and onion is translucent.

Add mushrooms, cayenne pepper, tamari, salt and pepper to taste.

Sautee another 5-7 minutes, stirring infrequently to allow mushrooms and veggies to brown from the tamari.

Serve in lettuce boats.

Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment