Thursday, June 5, 2008

Another Night, Another Quiche

Well, at the risk of being boring, I decided to finish up my eggs and make another quiche. This time, I decided to make my daughter's favorite...spinach quiche. Usually, when we have company or family over, I'll make a spinach quiche with a crust for the guests, then a roasted veggie quiche for myself and anyone else who wants it. This time, I decided I wanted the spinach quiche to share.

It turned out great, and I actually caught my husband eating it from the pan. That's something, he usually doesn't like quiche without a crust, but he said he couldn't stop himself, it was that good. My daughter ate two pieces right away and declared it the best. I just love rave reviews!

I think the balsamic vinegar makes a big difference in the veggies. I love the flavor it brings out of the veggies. Plus, this is such an easy meal and leftovers the next day are even better. Also, anytime you have to make something for a potluck, make one of these and you'll be sure to have something you like. When you eat GF and vegetarian, that's a real necessity.

Remember, you can put almost any veggie into a quiche, just make sure you sautee them and get out as much of the water as possible so your quiche isn't mushy. And also be sure you use good cheese.

Have fun...



Spinache Quiche/Tart

1 16 oz. bag frozen chopped spinach
1 sweet onion, chopped finely
2 tsp chopped garlic
6 oz. chopped mushrooms
1 Tbs olive oil
2 eggs
3 eggwhites
1/3 cup 1/2 and 1/2 (use soy milk if you want dairy free)
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp salt
1 Tbs balsamic vinegar
1 Tbs wheat-free tamari
1 cup shredded fontina cheese
2 Tbs soft goat cheese


Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Sautee onion in olive oil on medium heat until carmelized (about 7-10 minutes).

Add mushrooms and garlic and sautee another 5 minutes or until mushrooms are cooked through.

Add frozen spinach, balsamic and tamari. Stir well and cook for another 7-10 minutes, or until liquid from spinach is cooked out.

In a separate bowl while the spinach mixture cooks, beat eggs, 1/2 and 1/2, salt and nutmeg.

Spray a tart pan and pour the spinach mixture in the bottom to about halfway up the side of the pan. Cover spinach with fontina cheese, then dot the top with the remaining goat cheese.

Pour egg mixture over quiche and bake for 35 minutes, or until browned on top.

Let set for 10 minutes before serving.

Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment