Saturday, November 5, 2011

Gluten-free, Chocolate Almond/Cashew Cups

Gluten-free, chocolate almond/cashew cups
I had a craving for peanuts and chocolate last night, so I decided that I would whip up something fun. These nut cups are modified from the protein bars I made previously, and are quick and easy to make, no cooking (unless you count a microwave for a few seconds) and yummy. I even had a few for breakfast.

Quick and Easy Chocolate Almond/Cashew Cups
1/2 cup raw almonds
1/2 cup raw cashews
1/4 cup flax meal
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1/4 cup unsalted, natural peanut butter

1/4 cup coconut oil
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 Tbs honey
1/2 Tbs GF vanilla extract
1/2 cup Enjoy Life GF, DF, CF chocolate chips

1. Spray a mini-muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In a small food processor, combine almonds, cashews, flax, sunflower seeds and peanut butter until it forms a paste.
3. Heat coconut oil, sugar, honey and vanilla in a small bowl in the microwave for just 15 seconds.
4. Pour coconut oil mixture into nut mixture and process until mixed (just about 10-15 seconds).
5. Put about a TBS of mixture in each tin and place in the freezer while you make the chocolate. This made 24 cups.
6. Heat chocolate in microwave for 20 seconds, then stir, then heat again for 10 seconds. Keep doing this until it's all melted. Be careful not to overcook.
7. Remove cups from the freezer and put about a tsp of chocolate on top of each cup and spread it out. Work quickly, it cools and hardens fast on the cold nut mixture. After you've put all the chocolate on, you can add more if you like.
8. Return cups to the fridge or freezer (depending on how fast you want to eat them).
9. When hardened, remove the cups from the tins and put in an airtight container in the fridge. They melt quickly so keep them in the fridge.
Enjoy!

2 comments:

V said...

I almost didn't look at the recipe, I thought it was so unlikely to be something I could have. :) A couple of questions: pure vanilla extract would be naturally g/f (or in my case, wheat-free), wouldn't it? Have you used bourbon vanilla extract? Do you think these could be frozen?

comma girl said...

I use the Bourbon vanilla and it's GF. I love the taste.
And I'm sure they could be frozen since I freeze them first, then thaw them out in the fridge a bit before eating. Not sure how long they would last frozen, but my guess would be for a long time. They just don't last long around here. Let me know if you try them. (I just had two for dessert.)

Post a Comment