Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Ice Cream Cake and Carrot Cake...Happy Birthday to Me!

My darling daughter bakes a cake, just for me!
I celebrated my birthday a few days ago, and I've been continuing the celebration ever since. Actually it's been a birthday month for me. But more importantly, I gave myself permission to eat cake the entire month of July, with abandon. Good thing the month is almost up, I am going to need to lose a few pounds.

For the actual birthday, I made an ice cream cake similar to what my grandmother used to make when I was a kid. We would get to choose what kind of ice cream we wanted when it was our birthday, and then the celebration began. I wish there was a photo for you, but we ate it all so fast there wasn't enough time. But let me spell it out for you and you'll see why it didn't last.

In the bottom layer of a springform pan, crush half a package of Kinnikinnik K-Toos (take the filling out of about half of them) and add about 2 Tbs of melted butter. Press into a pan you've sprayed with nonstick (GF) spray. Let your first ice cream soften on the counter for a few minutes (I used Baskin Robbins chocolate chip). Each layer took about a quart. Layer the ice cream evenly over the crust mixture and freeze at least an hour.

Layer the rest of the crushed cookies (without butter) on top of the ice cream layer. Sprinkle a few chocolate chips in there if you want. We used about a 1/4 cup of Enjoy Life mini chips. Freeze again for about 30 minutes. Spread the next layer of ice cream (Baskin Robbins Gold Medal Ribbon) and freeze again for about an hour. Finally, pour a jar of chocolate fudge topping over the top and freeze again till you're ready to serve. And don't forget the whipped cream. Oh, that was good....

The best carrot cake in the entire world

OK, cake number two I just had tonight. My daughter wanted to make me another cake before the month was out and who am I to protest? Using The Cake Mix Doctor Bakes Gluten Free once again, she made a carrot cake that is out of this world. I haven't had carrot cake in years and even when I ate gluten, I couldn't eat the nuts so I would have to pass on the cake wherever I went. I never made one myself. Now, I see what I was missing. This cake had just enough spice and flavor and the cream cheese frosting was sweet and tart. No nuts, and just the right amount of golden raisins and fresh carrots. I ate it while it was still warm, I couldn't wait. My oldest daughter said, "It smells like Christmas in here," as it was baking. It sure felt like Christmas to me!

I'd love to give you the recipe, but I don't want to type it right out of her book. I urge you to get Anne Byrn's book, you won't regret it!

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Valerie (m.) said...

Happy Birthday!!

Post a Comment