Tuesday, May 10, 2011

A real bun is a thing of beauty!

Udi's Hamburger and Hot Dog Buns
While shopping at Sprout's this morning, I came across Udi's hamburger and hot dog buns. At a fabulous sale price, I couldn't resist. Daughter and I went right home and made a Tofu Pup and Sunshine Burger, topped on a toasted bun of each and split them both. Yes, we were that excited. Live without a real bun for 8 years and tell me if you get excited when you see one you can eat.

Oh my gosh, I closed my eyes and ignored the Tater Tots on the plate...yes, they were that good. The most wonderful thing about these is the texture. Crispy on the outside after toasting, soft and chewy on the inside, just like a bun should be. It holds together, does not fall apart and has a wonderful taste and brings the familiar "bite" of a burger on a bun. We used Sunshine Burgers and Tofu Pups since they are the only vegetarian/gluten-free options we've found that are great tasting and healthy. We just tossed the buns on the grill with the burger and pup, but I'm sure they would be fine in the oven or even the toaster, although the hot dog bun might be a little too long.

We topped the Sunshine Burger with a little Swiss cheese, and put a bit of relish on the Tofu Pup...no need to overdo it. We were eager to taste the buns more than condiments. Bottom line - I've stocked my freezer and will be heading back for more at the sale price to make sure Memorial Day and the BBQ will be fantastic. I'm already spinning ideas on what else can be done with the buns...garlic bread, eggplant parmigiana sandwiches, etc. What ideas do you have? Let me know.

We used the white-bread version of both, although there were whole-grain versions also. That review will have to wait till we finish these. But if they are anything like these, we'll be finishing them up very soon!

Enjoy!

(Note: I am not compensated in any way by Udi's Gluten Free, or Sprout's Farmers Market. I paid for the buns and will do so again. Of course, if Udi's wanted to send any new products to me for review in the future, I would be happy to oblige!)

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Can't wait to try!

Post a Comment