Monday, March 7, 2011

Quick Grilled Veggie Salad

What if you could whip up a fabulous salad in just a few minutes? Not that hard, you say. But what if that salad had grilled veggies, baby beets and homemade honey/mustard salad dressing? Ah, now I've got your attention!
Trader Joe's Marinated Grilled Eggplant and Zucchini

I found these grilled veggies in the frozen section of Trader Joe's. I bought them on a whim, thinking I could do so many things with them. Same with the beets. I love beets in salads and there are enough in this small package for a few salads. When I realized I was going to a friend's and needed to bring a salad, I realized how it would all come together.

Quick Grilled Veggie Salad

2 cups butter lettuce, chopped
2 cups spring greens, chopped
2-3 baby beets, cooked and chopped (I used Trader Joe's baby beets)
7-8 slices of grilled veggies, chopped (I used Trader Joe's marinated eggplant and zucchini, but you can grill your own)
1/2 cup sliced cherry tomatoes
Honey/mustard salad dressing (see below)
1 Tbs fresh parsley, chopped

1. Pulled the veggies out of the freezer and place them on some foil covering a cookie sheet. Since they are already grilled in olive oil and spices, nothing else is needed. Just turn on the broiler and prepare the rest of the salad while they cook, turning them once for even cooking. This takes only about 5-7 minutes.

Trader Joe's Baby Beets
2. Make the dressing in a small food processor. Add the juice of one lemon and 1/2 an orange. Add 1 Tsp Dijon mustard, 2 Tbs olive oil, 1 Tbs honey, and a pinch of salt/garlic powder/pepper/dried parsley. Whiz in the processor and taste. Add more of anything to make it to your liking. I like a little more mustard and honey in mine, but just keep messing with it till it's just right.

3. Add lettuce, tomatoes, beets and parsley and toss the salad.

4. Remove veggies from the oven and chop.

5. Just before serving, mix in the veggies and the dressing to the salad and toss. Don't add all the dressing, just add a few tablespoons and toss, then add more as needed.

This is fabulous with a few crackers. I also did not have any Parmesan but I think that would be lovely also.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment