Friday, February 12, 2010

Simpe Sauteed Greens


I've been getting a CSA basket each week for about 4 months now. Although I love having fresh veggies each week, and organic to boot, what I don't love is eating the same thing week after week. Yes, I love kale and chard, but every week for 6 weeks? Hmmm, it takes a lot of creativity to work on that. It's been a great motivator to try new things and I appreciate that. Thank goodness I can hit the farmers markets and get a few more goodies each week or I'd be lost.

This week, I decided to clean out all the greens and cook them for the week. It turned out to be a great idea and one I'll be repeating again. As you can see in the photo, everything is green (except for the leek, and that's technically green, right?) Once everything is done, the possibilities are endless. For the first night, we had the greens mixed with Jasmine rice. The next night, sauteed with a little more olive oil over gluten-free pasta. The next day for lunch, I just heated up the greens and ate them just like that-Yum!

Use whatever greens you like or you happen to have from a basket of greens. I tried to keep everything as similar as possible, meaning I kept the crunchy veggies in and left the squash for later since I didn't want it to become too soft. But whatever you like, dear chef, just throw it in there. Oh, and by the way, don't forget to peel the broccoli stem and chop that up, it tastes wonderful. In fact, it's my daughter's favorite part of the broccoli. I also chop the entire chard, not just the leaves. The stems have a wonderful, crunchy texture and taste divine-don't waste them.

Simple Sauteed Greens
1 bunch Swiss chard, chopped (including stems)
1 bunch baby kale, chopped
1 large leek (white only), chopped
1 onion, diced
2 stalks of broccoli, chopped (including stem)
2 TBS chopped fresh parsley, chopped
salt/pepper
2 tsp fresh lemon juice

1. Chop veggies into bite-sized pieces.
2. Saute all veggies except parsley in 1 TBS olive oil until soft but still crisp (about 10 minutes).
3. Add parsley, salt, pepper, and lemon.
4. Serve over rice, pasta, or just on its own.

This is a great way to serve greens without much fuss. It's quick, but it's also fresh and clean tasting. Use a little lemon zest if you want more lemon flavor.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Valerie (m.) said...

That looks fabulous!! I wish I had a CSA challenging me by giving me too many greens. The grownups at my house are big greens fans. And the toddler passionately adores broccoli. I've been thinking about rigging up indoor lights so that I can grow chard indoors all winter next winter. I miss my garden so!

Post a Comment