Thursday, January 7, 2010

Salad Pizza-Prepare to Fall in Love!


I realized that when I my daughter is not home, I forget the responsibility to feed her and sometimes I don't realize I'm hungry until I'm starving! Today, I realized I hadn't eaten in many hours and my body was complaining. My first thought- what's in the fridge? I want pizza, but I want more than pizza. I want a salad, but I want more than salad. Why not put them together?

I split a pizza crust from glutenfreecreations.com in half. Using just half, which is about one slice of regular pizza, I sprinkled it lightly with garlic powder and basil. Then added just a little mozzarella cheese (use just a tiny bit, if you're nondairy you can leave it out or use your favorite kind). That went into a 350-degree oven for about 5 minutes.

While it was cooking, I made a small salad of greens and dressing (anything you like-mine was a favorite olive oil/balsmic/oregano mix). I mixed the greens well with just a little dressing (don't overdue it).

Finally, I pulled out the pizza, piled the greens on top, then topped with shaved Parmesan. (OK- you can see in the photo that I piled on a little too much. But I love Parmesan. You can go a little easy if you want!) Wow! The crunchiness of the crust with the garlic and cheese gave it a pizza feel, yet the greens are cold and crispy and the dressing give a wonderful tangy bite to the dish. It's a fabulous and quick treat. Why didn't I think of this before?

Husband suggested adding tomatoes and sliced pepperoncini, but I prefer to keep it clean, simple, and yummy. Add whatever you want, Dear Chef, it's totally up to you-but do this. You won't regret it. If you don't have a pre-made pizza crust in your freezer (I always do), try to make a small crust on your own. It's worth the effort-and best of all it's not that high in calories. Perfect with a glass of wine.

Oh, and there is a fork in the photo, but it wasn't needed. Just pick it up and dig in!


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment