Sunday, September 27, 2009

Crunchy Wild Rice Salad


I had no idea that wild rice had so much protein in it. It has just about twice the protein as brown rice and it takes great. It's chewy and has a wonderfully nutty taste. So, when a friend made a cold wild rice salad, of course I had to go home and modify it.

I'm sure this can be changed according to the seasons. I love small sweet peppers and it's a great time for apples in season. But perhaps later in the year carrots and onions will work well. It's a great dish to bring to a potluck or take to school or work. I love that it's filling and satisfying with crunch and sweetness. Give it a try...

Crunchy Wild Rice Salad
1 cup wild rice
4 cups water
1 apple, chopped
1 cup yellow/red/orange peppers, chopped
1 cup raisins
1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
1/2 cup toasted sunflower seeds

Dressing:
2 Tbs Olive oil
1 Tbs Dijon mustard
1 tsp Garlic powder
1 tsp Agave syrup

1. Cook wild rice using package directions. I just add 1 cup rice per 4 cups of water, then simmer for about 45 minutes. Drain any water that's left.
2. Toast pine nuts in a 350 degree oven for just a few minutes. Be careful, they burn quickly.
3. Make dressing and adjust ingredients to your taste. I like mine a little sweet so I add a little more agave. Add some lemon juice if it's too sweet.
4. After the rice has cooled for about 30 minutes, mix all ingredients together and refrigerate. This lasts for a few days and tastes better each day as the flavors blend.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment