Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Jambote (Leftovers with Eggs)


I've found myself on many occasions foraging through the refrigerator for something to eat. I'm not the kind who plans dinner for the week, shops then cooks ahead, etc. I'm more of the "what do I feel like eating today" kind of person. Lately, I'm the "what do I feel like eating that's in my fridge" kind of person. What is always in there? Eggs, veggies, Diet Coke (I know, I know), rice cheese, carrot juice and the freezer usually has a few frozen GF pizza crusts, Sunshine burgers and Daughter's Trader Joe's quiche (not GF.)

Eggs and veggies are always a good bet. I've usually got leeks and some kind of colorful veggies, but whatever you've got, just saute the veggies, add an egg and viola-dinner. Here's my plan for what my mother calls "Jambote" or everything and an egg in the pan. Mom used to add potatoes to the mix, but I find that much too filling. But go ahead and try it, I loved it when I was a kid. It was Sunday morning breakfast-leftovers, potatoes and eggs.

I made one the other day with leeks and yellow squash. It was wonderful. This time, it is much more colorful and makes a better photo-op.

Jambote
Any veggies available
For this one, I had 1/2 a zuchini and 1/2 red bell pepper
1 egg plus 1 eggwhite
dash of nutmeg (1/4 tsp)
salt/pepper
1 Tbs fresh parsley, chopped

1. Saute veggies (about 1 cup) in grapeseed or olive oil
2. Beat egg and eggwhite in a bowl with salt, pepper and nutmeg
3. Add egg to veggies when they begin to soften.
4. Add parsley close to the end of cooking.
4. Cook until your desired doneness. I like mine pretty well-done.

This is quick, easy and very tasty. It's filling, full of veggies and provides a bit of protein.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment