Thursday, July 31, 2008

Tofu and Mushrooms, What a Great Combo

Although I love tofu, for some reason it always seems like so much work. It isn't really, it's just in my head. I love the tofu at our favorite Chinese restaurant, nice and spicy. But I've been reading about nutritional yeast and how good it is for you, so I thought I would try coating the tofu in it and frying. Some people on the Internet have said it's quite good. I looked up a few recipes and really just modified them to what I had in the fridge and around the house. It turned out well, although I think I might even make it more spicy next time.


If' you've never tried nutritional yeast, give it a try. Most of the research I've done shows it to have tons of B vitamins and protein. These are two things I could definitely increase in my diet. I just happened to find it in the bulk bins at our local Whole Foods store. I even read that some people sprinkle it over popcorn. It sure smells good so I may give that a try.

There's no real recipe. I just sliced the tofu in flat rectangles and let them drain on paper towels for a few moments. Dip in soy sauce mixed with a little sesame oil and rice wine vinegar, then dip in nutritional yeast flakes (not powder) mixed with a little garlic powder and parsley.

Put just a little olive oil in a pan and let it get hot. Then cook tofu about 3-4 minutes on each side till brown. Watch closely, they can burn quickly depending on how high your heat is. Medium is usually good on a gas stove.

I served this with just a pound of mushrooms sauteed in butter, olive oil and garlic. Let the mushrooms brown and then add just a little water at the end to deglaze the pan and make a little sauce over the tofu. Yum! I think next time I'll add just a little cayenne or Chinese garlic pepper sauce for a little kick. Maybe serve some garlic paste on the side. Yummy.

This week I'm also going to try Seamaiden's Peanut Tofu with Coconut Rice. I can't wait. Check out the link to her site for more great recipes (See link under GF Sites/Links).

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment